Φυλλο

Φυλλο

Τετάρτη 31 Αυγούστου 2016

Reset Modernity or Double Booting?

As I am thinking over the Reset Modernity Exhibit in Karlsrhue (http://zkm.de/en/event/2016/04/globale-reset-modernity) it is natural to me to see it from the point of view of learning.

The curators ask us to run our feeling of living in the world in a novel way, to actively participate in this change, and this brings me in mind the "conceptual change " litterature in the learning sciences. There it seems that now they have stoped expecting a replacement of old conceptions by new ones (at least not in an abraprt way), but rather a coexistance which will be accompanied with experiences that show the benefits from using scientific concepts so that less productive ways of dealing with issues get less and less influentiual.

So I think that for all of us who live in coutries heavily influenced by the modernizing front it is difficult to do a real Reset. It is more reasonable to go for a Double Booting (as for example when we have both Windows and Linux as possible operating systems in our computer). If we can also boot (at some circumstances, effortfuly at first)  using the AIME operating system then this is an opportunity to compare with the older ways.

This brings me in mind that the MOE- AIME- rm! proposal for how to run discources that guide our living-in-the-world is like proposing a new "technology". Why should a commoner like me (not a person specialized in some humanistic sciences) give it a try?

  • Is it useful? It seems that the curators say something like:" the old operating system leads to a lot of troubles. The proposed operating system is more reasonable. Therefore it should have less troubles".But comming from education, education is full from reasonable reforms proposed by competent people, that fail. So what would be a proof of usability for me? If I could experience the efficiency of the new approach in smaller problems, more everyday issues than grand issues like the collision with Gaia and the comming of the Anthropocene.  Can it help me realize that some of my problems (of me the commoner) can be seen as pseudoproblems and thus release me from unneeded worries or guilt? Can it help bring colour in lives that feel colourless? 
  • Can I master it (or will I always be in a dependant condition to some illuminati) to some degree? The issue of mastering the new operating system is always a problem when dealing with conceptual change. After some time in the dark the commoner should start seeing results, feeling a participant

  • Do people that can work like models for me for me adopt it?
  • Is the experience of participation meaningful for me in various ways? With respect to engaging people that can work as models and meaningful participation I think that a lot of work has been done, enough to influence even an accademic coming from the positive sciences.  Beyond that? What could be its influence towards more extended networks?


Now I want to reverse the analogy and wander  what the MOE- AIME- rm! trajectory can tell about education. Latour & Co propose to us a novel way to go around in life and this means that there is an element of teaching here. They are our teachers and guides. But at the same time they know and express their uncertainty, they ask us to be co-designers. So teaching/ learning and learning/research are mixed in this case. 

Could that be an image that informs how we feel about education? Can teachers in our schools be teachers/researchers/inquirers? Indeed there is a move in education that looks forward to teachers that are also researchers of their practice. But I think this is different. The research here is towards something that goes beyond the school (or the book, the web site, the exposition). It reminds more of the old concept of the teacher as in the case of philosophers and sophists in ancient Athens, starets among monks, sifus in some martial arts, parents for their children. The teachers are inquirers of the Way. (In my tradition one would perhaps say that teachers are inquirers in responding to the l;oving call of God, but this raises modernist hairs) But the students also are socialized in this inquiry that will evolve as generation follows the previous generation.

Can all actual teachers be like that? Do they want to? Can such a conception hold in a liberal democracy with its many Ways? Do the notions of diplomacy, middle ground, negotiation have an application here? These questions are as far as my thought goes and here I stop.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου