Φυλλο

Φυλλο

Τετάρτη 30 Μαρτίου 2016

Socrates and the anthropologist

In AIME the anthropologist has the place of Socrates. She moves around searching for truth (an old term but I like it). Poor Socrates is treated like a straw man. He was supposedly searching just along [REF]. But Voegelin's Socrates (Plato and later Aristotles) are not just dealing with [REF].

What kind of text is the MOE?  To me , a commoner, looks like a philosophical work. Like Daniel Dennett and others it relies on scientific work to make points that go way beyond science. Or at least [REF]. What kind of key houses philosophy? Is it [PRE] ? I doubt it. How can just the choice of the appropriate key, each time, count for the distninctive feature of philosophy?

It is also a source of foundations (foundations as fundamental ways of articulation), which reminds me of the similar concern of mathematics which brings me , through andrei rodin, to this statement of Lawvere which seems close to the spirit of AIME

"In my own education I was fortunate to have two teachers who used the term “foundations”
in a common-sense way (rather than in the speculative way of the BolzanoFrege-Peano-Russell
tradition). [..] The orientation of these works seemed to be
“concentrate the essence of practice and in turn use the result to guide practice”. I
propose to apply the tool of categorical logic to further develop that inspiration.
Foundations is derived from applications by unification and concentration, in other
words, by the axiomatic method. Applications are guided by foundations which have
been learned through education. "

Perhaps the distinction between the two different senses of axiomatization is similar to Latour's claim that he does not want to make a system.


Voegelin says"the order of history is the history of order" and in this order one may see successive versions of [REL]. Let us not see it progressively. Let us say perhaps, coexistant options of [REL]. The "Noetic" version (of classical philosophy) being one of them.

Socrates meets the young anthropologist and they embrace each other. A meeting of souls in a tormented world where people will clash and fight

I am not a modern (perhaps I do not even understand what philosophy means modern-wise), so I can pick and chose from MOE as I like and find useful to my ends. Even if erroneous (who am I to judge) AIME works like a lever that allows joints to appear in the constitution of the moderns and in this sense allow us to feel closer to them, to empathize them. So even if I look a jolly fool I do enjoy the sense of space.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου